This topic contains 3 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Lucy Good Lucy Good 7 months ago.

  • Author
  • #20298 Reply

    Hi All,

    I’m a single mum, and the father of my child has nothing to do with my daughter he won’t even admit she is his, and she has no contact with any of his family because they know nothing of her.

    I’m trying to get my affairs in place should anything happen to me.

    I’m leaving the care of my daughter to my best friend, babies for mother and we have discussed in length what should happen in the case of sudden illness or death.

    My question is how hard will it be for my friend to take her, I don’t want her going to my mother as her partner sexually abused me from the age of 11 until I was in my early 20.

    I fear if my daughter goes to my mother she will suffer the same fate.

    I’m doing everything I can to Make sure my daughter doesn’t get stuck with my family but I have heard that courts have turned over family decisions and requests even with evidence. And history factored in.

    I would appreciate any input. TIA

  • #20300 Reply

    You need a will. Make a will. It is sooooo important, especially for single parents in positions like yours. It is the only way to have a voice when you are dead. Sounds morbid but very true.

  • #20314 Reply

    I totally agree with the response above the best thing you can do is to make a will and have it legally documented.

  • #20316 Reply
    Lucy Good
    Lucy Good

    It’s worth noting that even when you make a will, it can still be contested and a family member would have a chance of winning over a friend, even if it was your request. For this, reason state in the will, not only where you want your child to go but also where you DO NOT want her to go. You will need a good lawyer who will take the time to get this right for you.

Reply To: Getting things in order
Your information:

Please enter your name

Please enter your email

Please enter a valid email address

Please enter description