Let’s be honest, full time childcare is extortionate, especially on a single salary. As such, many modern mothers are far better off looking for remote work they can do from home; thus enabling them to look after and be close to their children, save on rising childcare costs, and indeed earn a living.
The question is, what are some good side hustles for single mums? And is SEO a good way to earn online? If you are feeling the crunch and you are desperate to find other ways to earn from home, read on and we’ll share some ideas.
Avoid time-intensive/low-return ‘hustles’
First of all, you should avoid the many time-intensive/low-return side hustles out there. For example, filling out surveys online and other similar gigs. These pay very little and can be a massive time sink. You’re far better off investing that time into learning a new skill or growing an online business.
Time is your most precious commodity.
Is SEO a good way to earn online as a side hustle?
SEO is a very good way to earn online as a side hustle and there’s plenty of opportunity out there. However, there is a bit of a steep learning curve and starting from zero can be incredibly overwhelming.
All that being said, if you join LinkedIn and start following some top creators and influencers, you can learn an awful lot about finding your niche and marketing yourself appropriately.
SEO as a whole is very broad, however, if you have a specific interest or skill set, you can specialise in any of the following areas:
- Content / copywriting: If you have always enjoyed writing and have some skill, there’s plenty of opportunity to earn a decent living online.
- Social media management: Is your social media game strong? Do you have loads of ideas and love thinking up ways to engage with people?
- Graphic design: If you have an eye for detail and a creative flair, there’s always a demand for talented graphic designers.
- Web developer: Again, it’s a steep learning curve but a qualified web developer can make some serious money online – especially as a freelancer.
- Data analyst: If you are more technically minded and prefer numbers, you’ll find no shortage of opportunity as a data analyst online.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are many, many avenues you can take in the world of SEO and digital marketing.
And while it will be difficult to find remote work with an agency having very little experience, with time and patience, you will unearth more opportunity. For example, working for an SEO agency in Brisbane despite being in Perth or doing web development for a Thai agency while living in the States.
Find your niche, put the time in and perfect your craft, and you’ll be open to a world of opportunity.
SEO knowledge can help you tremendously with other side hustles
Other great benefits to pursuing SEO and learning as much as you can, is: how valuable that knowledge will be in other areas. For example:
- Starting an eCommerce business: It’s competitive and there’s a lot of work involved, however, starting your online store is a very real possibility and one that can benefit greatly from SEO knowledge and experience.
- Making your own Etsy store: Whether you love making arts and crafts or you’d rather develop and sell digital downloads, having an understanding of SEO can help you position your products well.
- Writing a blog: It takes a lot of time and effort to create a profitable blog, however (you guessed it), SEO knowledge will be critical in making it happen.
Other side hustles worth pursuing
If the above does not appeal to you at all, rest assured that there are many other ways to earn at home. For example:
- Teach English online
- Virtual assistant
- Remote customer service / call centre work
- Dog walking
- Buy and sell online (e.g., picking up cheap items on Facebook marketplace and flipping for profit).
Final thoughts on SEO as a side hustle
We understand how stressful and unsettling it can be when you are struggling for cash as a single mother and unable to afford quality childcare. Just remember that there is an ocean of opportunity online if you are prepared to put the time in.
Again, using platforms like LinkedIn, you’ll find overwhelming support as a new starter and if you follow and study the right creatives, you can indeed carve out a decent living for you and your family online.
We hope you’ve found this article inspiring and wish you the best of luck.