As the mother of a teenager and a pre-teen, this podcast was absolutely spot-on for me .. and I am sure it will be for many listeners.
Sometimes it is so hard to know what’s going on in our teenagers heads. So difficult to know what to say and how to help them. And, as much as I try and recall my teenage years, I can’t relate as I’d like to.
That’s why I chat with Maya Kiusalaas, author of Free The Girl and blogger at My Monday Love. During Maya’s teenage years she experienced eating disorders, depression and anxiety. But she chose to turn these negatives into positives by writing a book which is an invaluable tool for both teenagers and the parents of teenagers.
She talks to us in this podcast with incredible insight and as a kind of mediator between us and our teenagers.
You can listen to us discuss:
- The mixed emotions of our teenage years and why Maya decided to write a book about them
- The (sometimes inexplicable) lack of self-worth that teenagers have, and why
- What the biggest issues are that teenagers face today and how we can help them
- What we can do to connect with our teenagers on ‘their’ level
- Take-aways tips that we can put into action straight-away that will improve our relationships with our teenagers