Inviting friends and relatives over to your home is a delightful experience. You’ll be able to have a great time together, sharing stories and creating new fun-filled memories. Sounds fun and exciting, right? However, is your place ready for your guests?
When your guests arrive, you should be able to offer them a welcoming and warm place where they can relax and recharge after a long and stressful trip. It’s about caring for them so they can be at peace while staying in your humble abode.
This is where a comfortable guest room—if you’re lucky enough to have room to spare—can make a difference.
Since such rooms aren’t used often compared to any other room in the house, they usually become a dumping site for old junk, storage boxes, and unwanted stuff. But when visitors are expected to come, you should declutter the trash and add meaningful touches.
But the question is, how? If you have no idea how to decorate a guest bedroom, here are the things that’ll help you create a warm and welcoming room for your great friends and relatives.
1. Provide A Comfortable Mattress
First things first: never give your guests an old, cranky, and noisy mattress. Remember, they came from a stressful journey, and you want to avoid stressing them out even further. Therefore, it’s necessary to look for a comfortable mattress they’ll surely love and appreciate. After all, it’s the heart of every bedroom.
Here are some things to keep in mind when looking for a comfortable mattress:
- Temperature Control: Look for mattresses that may provide warmer temperatures. According to experts, it may help people sleep better.
- Material: You may choose between memory foam, coils, latex, or a combination of said materials. Keep in mind that the material you choose may affect the pressure on your body. Also, avoid those that may trigger allergic reactions, such as latex. You may consider memory foam instead.
- Firmness: Medium-firm mattresses provide the right comfort level for spine alignment and promote better sleep quality.
- Allergens: It’d be best to choose a spring mattress over foam. According to a study, dust mites thrive more in foam mattresses compared to spring. So, to reduce allergens and the risk of allergic reactions, choose spring mattresses instead.
2. Upgrade Your Bedding
Aside from cozy and warm mattresses, another element you should never ignore is the bedding. It shows how much you care for your guests. Also, it doesn’t have to be luxurious. All you need is a complete bedding set to provide your guests with the utmost comfort level they deserve.
Here are some helpful tips to upgrade your bedding:
- Mattress Topper: Do you feel bumps on your mattress? If so, you need a mattress topper to cover the bumps and be free from painful sleeping experiences. Also, go for a memory foam mattress topper for better sleep quality.
- Cotton Blanket: Cotton blankets provide a breathable sleeping experience, perfect for the coldness of winter and the warmth of summer.
- Comforter: Look for a lightweight and well-insulated comforter, perfect for all-year-round use.
- Pillows: Choose hotel-grade pillows or memory foam for better sleep quality. These pillows provide a good comfort level, allowing your guests to sleep peacefully at night.
Furthermore, don’t forget to iron your pillowcases, provide extra blankets, and use clean bedsheets for your guests.
Make Extra Space For Suitcases
Declutter your guest room by removing unnecessary objects for a rack where suitcases can be placed. If a luggage rack isn’t possible, you may provide an extra table instead. After all, nobody wants to reach the floor to get a pair of socks. Even a small chair or bench is better than nothing at all.
Add A Seating Area
Your guests may need more time alone, so give them a place where they can relax and enjoy their me-time. Adding a seating area near the window would be perfect. If there’s not enough space, make some by removing the excess furniture your guests wouldn’t like.
You may also add a lounge chair in the corner of the room. In addition, you could add a desk or a table to help guests read books or write anything they want. Even a small and sleek one will work, such as a wall-mounted desk or a freestanding one.
On top of that, you also include a small couch at the other end of the bed. This not only helps your guests relax but also adds to the room’s aesthetic appeal.
Add Some Accessories
Accessories give life to the room, making it more comfortable, welcoming, and pleasing to your guests. You may add a small coffee nook where they can brew their own cup of coffee or tea. Or place a small fridge and fill it with soda, juice, or bottled water, so your guests won’t have to go to your kitchen just to quench their thirst.
Aside from go-to drinks, you may also include some reading materials, such as books and magazines you love to share a piece of your personality with your guests. Don’t forget to include some fresh flowers in a pot to add a touch of nature to your guest room and make it more vibrant and alive.
Furthermore, you may consider leaving a bottle of hand sanitiser, alcohol, and anti-bacterial wipes to keep them clean. They’ll surely appreciate such thoughts. After all, the end goal is to provide a hotel-level experience for your lovely guests.
Share Tourist Info
If your guests plan to take a trip around the city by themselves, it’d be best to give them materials, such as maps and brochures. Also, give them a list of shopping malls, museums, and restaurants worth visiting. In addition, you may use a highlighter to highlight all the special locations on the map that you want them to try.
Leave these materials in a basket so that every guest that may use the room would have easy access to them.
A guest room is where your visitors relax after a long day of stressful travel. So, make sure it’s cozy, warm, and welcoming.
When you upgrade your guest room, have a comfortable mattress, a complete set of bedding, extra space for luggage, a seating area, reading materials, and other accessories. All of these will make the stay of your guests worthwhile.
To top it all, you may include the things they love to show how much you appreciate them for being in your home.