When we think of divorce we think of lawyers, big bucks and a long drawn-out process.
But it doesn’t have to be this way.
Getting a divorce, in many circumstances, is a lot easier than you may think. In fact, there is no reason why you can’t do it all yourself. And by doing so, it will save you time, money and leave you feeling super-empowered.
In this podcast, I chat to Belinda Eldridge from Divide – Simple Financial Separation. Belinda, also a single mother, works with ex-couples to determine what financial structure will work best for them as 2 single parents co-parenting and then helps them agree on the action plan to implement the new structure as cost effectively as possible. She focuses on educating people through the divorce and separation process, which is exactly what this podcast is all about.
We cover everything you need to know to DIY your divorce, including:
- The exact criteria that makes you eligible for divorce
- The importance of your separation date and how to record it
- The pros and cons of applying for divorce on your own, or as a couple
- How to use the Commonwealth Court Portal to apply for your divorce
- Divorce costs including concessions and comparable costs if you use lawyers
- The best DIY divorce video ever
- Mistakes you might make and how to avoid them
- How and when to organise your financial settlement
Listen here …